Did you know that home fires occur most often during winter months? Winter is one of the busiest times of the year for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, as well as all fire departments across the country.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration and the National Fire Protection Association:
• About 890 people die in winter home fires each year.
• About $2 billion in property loss occurs annually from winter home fires.
• Winter home fires account for only 8 percent of the total number of fires in the United States, but result in 30 percent of all fire deaths.
• Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
• A heat source too close to combustibles is the leading factor contributing to the start of a winter home fire (15 percent of cases).
• 5 to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.