News of crime and punishment from across Fairfax County this week:

COUNTY POLICE TALLY DATA FOR 2017 DWI ENFORCEMENT: The Fairfax County Police Department’s Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) enforcement squad last year arrested 513 motorists for drunk driving.  

Last year was the first full year for the grant-funded DWI squad, a nine-officer unit created in December 2016 with the main goal of reducing impaired-related crashes through increased DWI enforcement.  

The squad’s eight officers and one supervisor were picked exclusively for their commitment to highway safety and aptitude in identifying and apprehending impaired drivers. This unit is assigned to the Traffic Division of the Operations Support Bureau and deployed throughout the county based on statistical data and requests from the public and station commanders.  

The squad’s equipment and salaries are funded through a federal grant and overseen by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Its members receive advanced training in DWI detection and drug recognition.

Overall, county police made a total of 2,139 DWI arrests last year, an increase from 1,957 arrests in 2016 and 1,841 arrests in 2015.

VIENNA POLICE ARREST MAN FOR HAVING REVOKED LICENSE, GIVING FALSE INFORMATION: A Vienna police officer on Jan. 1 at 3:14 a.m. observed a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed near Maple Avenue, W., and Nutley Street, N.W., and initiated a traffic stop. The driver could not provide identification and gave the officer false information as to his identity.

The officer determined the man’s identity and found he was driving on a revoked license. Police arrested the 18-year-old Woodbridge man and transported him to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center, where authorities charged him with providing false information to a law-enforcement officer and driving on a revoked license.

CAR ALARM ALERTS VIENNA RESIDENT TO VEHICLE FIRE: A resident living at 400 Millwood Court, S.W., told Vienna police on Jan. 1 at 10:37 p.m. that shortly after returning home, a car alarm had alerted the resident to a fire inside the person’s vehicle.

Fire personnel responded and extinguished the fire, which appeared to be caused by a mechanical issue. No foul play appeared to be involved, police said.

PROPERTY DESTROYED, COPPER PIPING STOLEN IN McLEAN BURGLARY: Between Dec. 29 last year and Jan. 3, 2018, someone entered a building in the 1600 block of Anderson Road in McLean and destroyed property and stole copper piping, Fairfax County police said.

ITEMS STOLEN IN GREAT FALLS COMMERCIAL BURGLARY: Someone broke into a business in the 10100 block of Colvin Run Road in Great Falls on Jan. 3 around 4:15 a.m. and took items, Fairfax County police said.

ROBBER STEALS CELL PHONE FROM PEDESTRIAN IN FAIR OAKS: A man was walking in the 11400 block of Aristotle Drive in Fair Oaks on Dec. 31, 2017, at  9 p.m. when another man approached, placed a sharp object near the victim’s shoulder and demanded his cell phone, Fairfax County police said.

The victim complied and the suspect ran away. The victim was not injured. The suspect is described as around 5 feet 8 inches tall, between 25 and 35 years old and  wearing all-dark clothing, police said.

WOMAN SAYS JEWELRY BOX IS MISSING FROM LATE MOTHER’S VIENNA HOME: A woman who has power of attorney over her deceased mother’s property told Vienna police that between Oct. 15 and Dec. 14 last year a jewelry box containing several pieces of jewelry went missing from her mother’s home in the 700 block of Ware Street, S.W.

CAT QUARANTINED AFTER CATCHING BAT INSIDE McLEAN HOME: A woman living in the 100 block of Center Street, N., told Vienna police on Dec. 21, at 6:45 a.m. that her cat had caught a bat that had been flying in her bedroom.

The woman swept the bat into a bag and released it out the window. The cat was placed on a 45-day quarantine, Vienna police said.

MAN NOT FOOLED BY SCAM CALL CLAIMING HIS DAUGHTER HAD BEEN KIDNAPPED: An employee at Giant Food, 359 Maple Ave., E., on Dec. 28 at 10:09 a.m. received a call on his cell phone advising that his daughter had been kidnapped.

The employee verified that his daughter was safe at home and that this was an attempted scam.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.