Byrd Drive fire

Byrd Drive fire. Courtesy Manassas Fire and Rescue

Manassas City fire and rescue crews rescued a man and 24 Yorkshire terriers from a burning townhouse Friday morning.

Firefighters were called to the fire at 9229 Byrd Drive at 7:46 a.m. and arrived to find a man standing outside a second story window on an awning, city spokeswoman Patty Prince said in a news release.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire. One female resident was taken to Novant UVA Prince William Medical Center with minor burns she suffered trying trying to extinguish the fire with buckets of water.

While on premises, 24 Yorkies were located and seized by Manassas City Animal control Officers pending further investigation, Prince said.

The fire marshal said the cause of the fire originated from an electrical outlet covered by bedding materials placed up against an exposed or damaged plug of a window air conditioning unit. Damage to the house is estimated at $2,000.


(4) comments


Oh..Well... One of those misdemeanors the Commonwealth’s Attorney said she won’t be prosecuting. Maybe one of the Judges knows how to prosecute animal cruelty cases?


4 dogs or cats total in any dwelling is the ordinance. Hopefully he’ll be charged with 20 misdemeanor counts, one for each dog over the limit. So disgusting, GTS of course.


Puppy mill or hoarder? Way too many, limit is 6 elsewhere, not sure about Manassas.


How are the dogs and who is assisting with the 24 dogs? Isn't that too many for one house?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.