The General Assembly has approved a resolution celebrating the 100th anniversary of the founding of what began life as a volunteer fire company and eventually became Arlington Fire Station #8.
Founded by African-American residents of the Hall’s Hill neighborhood as a volunteer fire department – serving not only the predominantly black surrounding communities but also white neighborhoods farther out – the department’s volunteers first used a hand-pulled fire engine, upgrading to a pumper truck in the early 1930s when the county government first began purchasing equipment for volunteer companies.
In 1934, the Hall’s Hill Volunteer Fire Station moved to property on North Culpeper Street that had been donated by a local family. In 1951, the first county-government-paid firefighters were assigned to the station. In 1963, a new firehouse opened on Lee Highway, and the county government is in the process of planning for construction of a new station on the site.
The legislation, which was patroned by Del. Rip Sullivan (D-48th) and passed the state Senate and House of Delegates unanimously, noted the General Assembly’s “admiration for the fire company’s legacy of contributions to the Arlington community.”
A celebration of the 100th anniversary will be held on Saturday, Jan. 26 from 2 to 6 p.m. (with the program starting at 3 p.m.) at the National Rural Electrical Cooperative Association conference center, 4301 Wilson Blvd. Tickets are free, but registration is required at bit.ly/fs8centennialcelebrationevite.
The event is sponsored by the John M. Langston Citizens Association. For information on the celebration, call (571) 262-1475 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.