The Greater McLean Chamber of Commerce honored local business people and community members Oct. 6 at the organization’s annual “Suits and Sneakers Celebration,” held at the Pavilions of Turkey Run at Claude Moore Colonial Farm.
Chamber members, local officials and awardees – many wearing the event’s standard uniform of business suits combined with tennis shoes – sampled cuisine and libations from restaurants and vendors, pored over pamphlets and displays set out by community organizations, and bid on silent-auction items.
Award winners received a glass trophy, a letter from U.S. Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) and cheers from onlookers.
This year’s honorees were:
• Former Del. Robert Brink (D-48th), Community Leadership Award.
• John Alford, Police Officer of the Year.
• James Davison, Auxiliary Police Officer of the Year.
• McLean Square Associates (Georges Tawil), Corporate Partner.
• Food Bus Inc. (Kathleen Weil) and board members Melani Spiegel and Stacy Leff, Community Volunteers of the Year.
• Mo Jebali of Pulcinella The Italian Host, Outstanding Business Citizen.
• Fuad Sahouri of Sahouri Insurance, Hometown Hero.
• Dal Grano Restaurant (Jozef Valko), New Business of the Year.
• Derek Blain, principal owner of Keller Williams Realty McLean/Great Falls, Community Impact Award.
• El Tio Tex-Mex Grill, Restaurant of the Year.
• Katie Simmons Hickey of George Mason Mortgage, Community Champion.
• Brian Trompeter of the Sun Gazette Newspapers, Media Partner of the Year.
• Mike Hoffman, Firefighter of the Year.
• Ramsey Kysia, EMT Firefighter of the Year.
• Operation Turbo (Dyan Zurick Smith), Non-Profit of the Year.
• Flowers & Plants, Etc. (Chip Frederick), Small Business of the Year.
• Viva Tysons Magazine (Johnny Hanna), Collaborative Impact Award.
• BOWA (Patricia Tetro), Environmental Awareness Award.
• David Hagigh of Re/Max Allegiance, Chairman’s Recognition: Outstanding Chamber Member.
• Wayne Loving, Mary Kingman Pillar of McLean Recognition Award.
• Doug Megill of McLean Insurance, Greater McLean Chamber and McLean Rotary Citizen of the Year.
• Sweet Bites Café and Bakery, Retailer of the Year.
• Amee Vermilye Burgoyne of the McLean Community Foundation, Community Engagement Excellence Award.
• Sahara Shrestha, president of Langley High School’s Interact Club, Youth Recognition Award.
Chamber chairman Marcus Simon also gave Chairman’s Recognition certificates to Color Wheel in honor of the store’s 50th anniversary and the Rotary Club of McLean for its half-century of community service.