News of crime and punishment across Arlington this week:
* On June 29 at 6:49 a.m., an individual was inside the common area of a residential building in the 2400 block of Army Navy Drive with a group of friends when another individual joined them and later began assaulting him and stole his cellphone, police said.
The victim was transported to an area hospital with minor injuries.
The suspect is described as a black male juvenile, 5’10” to 6 feet tall, 100 to 130 pounds.
* On July 1 at 7:27 a.m., a man was walking in the 600 block of 26th Street South when he was approached by two men. After a brief struggle, the suspects stole the victim’s backpack and fled on foot.
The victim suffered minor injuries. The backpack later was recovered by a witness.
The suspects are described as black males, in their late teens, 5’9” with medium builds.
* On July 2 between 3:30 and 4:30 a.m., an individual was on a bench on Columbia Pike and South Columbus Street when he was approached by four men who attempted to engage him in conversation.
According to police, one suspect stole the victim’s bike while the others followed on foot. When the victim attempted to chase the suspects, two of them turned back toward him, assaulted him and stole his cellphone.
The victim received minor injuries, and the bike later was recovered in damaged condition.
The suspects are described as one black male and three Hispanic males, all 17 to 22 years of age.
* On July 3 at 3:40 p.m., an individual entered a business in the 2100 block of 15th Street North, took merchandise and began to exit without paying.
When confronted by an employee, the suspect threatened workers with a can of pepper spray and fled the scene before police arrival.
The suspect is described as a light-skinned black male.
* On July 3 at 11:41 p.m., two individuals were outside a home in the 1200 block of North Stuart Street when a man approached them, brandished what later was determined to be a BB gun and threatened one of the victims while demanding cash, police said.
According to police, another individual intervened and became engaged in a physical struggle with the suspect before chasing him away.
The second victim suffered minor injuries but did not require medical attention.
The suspect – 19-year-old Elonte Jones-Davis – was arrested and charged with attempted robbery, and was held without bond.
ASSAULT ON LAW ENFORCEMENT:
* On June 29 at 6:58 p.m., police responded to the 2500 block of Shirlington Road when a passerby called for assistance after observing a woman lying on the ground.
According to police, medics and officers made contact with the stricken woman and attempted to assist her, but she declined medical attention and refused to identify herself.
According to police, the individual then spat on an officer.
The suspect – 36-year-old Shadavia Hughes of Alexandria – was arrested and charged with assault-and-battery on law enforcement, drunk in public and failure to identify.
* On July 2 at 12:04 a.m., two individuals were inside their home in the 2100 block of 26th Street South when they heard a loud noise and discovered an unknown suspect or suspects attempting to gain entrance while causing damage.
There is no suspect description.
LARCENY FROM AUTO:
* On July 2 between 5:30 and 6:17 a.m., approximately 10 mostly unlocked vehicles were entered in the 3100 block of North Peary Street and the 3700 block of Roberts Lane.
The suspect is described as a tall male with a slim build.