Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded Feb. 23 at 11:48 p.m. to a reported house fire in the 12000 block of Waples Mill Road in Oakton.
Units arrived to find smoke showing from the two-story, single-family home and quickly extinguished a fire on the first floor. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.
Three occupants were home at the time of the fire. A sounding smoke alarm prompted one of the occupants to investigate the cause. The occupant discovered fire and smoke around the fireplace. All occupants evacuated from the house and called 911.
Fire investigators determined the blaze was accidental and began when radiant heat from the operating firebox ignited wood framing between the original brick chimney face and stone-veneer façade.
Three occupants were displaced because of the fire; they declined assistance offered by the Red Cross. The fire caused about $93,750 worth of damage, officials said.