Students from four middle schools and 13 high schools across Fairfax County were named winners in the 2019 Regional Scholastic Writing Awards competition, while Gloria Wang of Oakton High School was named an American Voices Nominee for her poem, “16th and Euclid.”
The student writers received Gold Key, Silver Key and Honorable Mention awards for their works, which were submitted in the following categories: critical essay, dramatic script, flash fiction, humor, journalism, novel writing, personal essay-memoir, poetry, science fiction-fantasy, short story and writing portfolio.
Gold Key works are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
Among students from the Sun Gazette coverage area, awards at various levels and in various categories went to:
– From Langley High School: Madeleine Assaad, Virginia Lee Lucey.
– From Oakton High School: Emily Bach, Ananya Bagai, Daniel Hong, Gloria Wang.
– From McLean High School: Ally Liu. Pasha Ranakusuma. Annika Harley.
– From Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology: Arya Adake, Ananya Bagai, Molly Barron, Saigautam Bonam, Arwen Chandler, Yukta Chidanandan, Anoushka Chintada, Aumena Choudhry, Kashika Dhanjal, Eden Ethington, Meera Gupta, Stuthi Iyer, Riya Jones, Isha Kunnath, Irina Lee, Kyra Li, Michelle Lin, Meghana Malyala, Adele Peng, Morgan Phelps, Trung Phi, Saba Rentia, Ish Sethi, Daniel Shen, Crystal Shi, Alexander Suh, Elizabeth Sun, Athilesh Thanigai, Edward Tong.
– From Cooper Middle School: Ashley Kang, Andrew Shi.
– From Luther Jackson Middle School: Christina Lu.