Cats in Animal Welfare League 11

State Sen. Barbara Favola and U.S. Rep. Jim Moran enjoy some of the cats that are available for adoption at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington. (2014 file photo by Deb Kolt)

A new survey from Mayflower reveals pet priorities often are equal to or more important than human-focused amenities when American dog and cat owners decide on new homes and communities.  

According to the survey, cat and dog owners who have moved recently say their pet influenced which new home they chose by 39 percent and which new community they chose by 26 percent.

Survey respondents cited a willingness to pay significantly more and even forgo perks (like shorter commutes and updated kitchens) in favor of pet-friendly features.

Additionally:

• Pet owners who plan to move say their pet will influence their choice of home by 48 percent and their choice of community by 33 percent.

• Pet owners who are likely to move in the next five years are willing to pay an average of 32 percent more each month to get the pet-friendly features they want, such as a fenced-in yard and plenty of indoor space, as compared to their current monthly housing costs.

• Kitchen vs. Canine: Half of future movers (50 percent) want an updated kitchen, and the other half (50 percent) prioritize a pet-friendly feature.

• Pet vs. Place of Business: While nearly half (49 percent) of future movers want to live close to work, the other half (51 percent) prioritizes pet-friendly features in their new home.

Mayflower’s survey also found more than three-fourths of past movers and future movers with pets didn’t stay close or don’t plan to stay close to their current neighborhood or part of town when choosing their next home. Yet more than two-thirds of past movers tried to stay close to their pet’s favorite human and furry friends, their favorite park and their vet.

The pet-related decisions meant more than staying near their old neighborhood.

“In the last few years, we’ve heard more and more from our customers about the impact moving has on pets,” said Eily Cummings, the director of corporate communications for Mayflower. “With every move, we strive to ensure the process is smooth for both our customers and their animals by providing expertise, information and constant support.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.