football generic2.jpg

Lightning and thunderstorms. COVID protocols. Heat. All disrupted the opening weekend of the local high school football season.

Three games (Osbourn-Manassas Park, Hylton-Patriot and Brooke Point-Freedom) were called Friday night by mutual agreement between the two opponents because of the wide point differential.

Osbourn led Manassas Park 56-0 with three minutes left in the second quarter. Patriot was up 42-6 midway through the third quarter, and Freedom led Brooke Point 70-26 in the third quarter.

Three others with closer scores (Gar-Field against North Stafford, Osbourn Park-Colgan and Battlefield-Potomac) were rescheduled for Saturday and began at the point of interruption.

Of the three, Gar-Field-North Stafford was the only one unable to finish Saturday due to more bad weather. The Red Wolves and Wolverines had been scheduled to finish Monday evening with 5:31 remaining in the fourth quarter and North Stafford leading 10-7. But as more storms threatened Monday night, completion of the game was instead pushed back to Sept. 7 at 5 p.m.

“After the storm had passed [Monday], the field had standing water all the way out to the numbers and was unplayable,” said North Stafford activities director Mark Coleman.

Because it was supposed to play Monday, Gar-Field’s next game, against Mountain View, was pushed from Thursday to Friday at 11 a.m. (Schools are off Friday for the Labor Day weekend).

Due to COVID protocols, Unity Reed had to postpone its game from last Friday to Saturday against host Westfield. Unity Reed beat the perennial power 20-14.

Woodbridge also had to postpone its game with visiting South County last Friday due to COVID protocols. No make-up date is in place yet.

The Vikings’ next game is Friday at 10 a.m. against North Stafford. The game was moved to Stafford High School due to wet field conditions at North Stafford and with more rain expected this week from the remnants of Hurricane Ida. Stafford has a turf field.

Brentsville’s opener at Liberty-Bealeton Friday was suspended at halftime due to a referee shortage. One of the officials suffered heat exhaustion right before halftime. Referee associations do not allow games to continue with only three officials.

The game resumed Saturday at 9 a.m., and the Tigers went on to win 39-13.

David Fawcett is the sports editor for Reach him at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.